A wide range of publications are available for 2005. they can be
purchased by postal application only, at the moment. See address below.
Please note:- all prices quoted are in pounds sterling.
For UK purchases ONLY, simply enclose a note of the
name(s) of the required publications and the code number (eg. 006
YPO) along with:
- Your name and address
- Cheque to cover the total amount ( made payable to
"Yorkshire Dialect Society" please )
For international purchases, write to the address below with a note of the name(s) and the code numbers of
the required publications, along with your location. We will work out the cost
and methods of supply and inform you.
The Yorkshire Dictionary of Dialect, Tradition and
by Arnold Kellett.
- A dictionary of dialect words, Yorkshire traditions, customs
and much more. Over 3,000 entries and 130 illustrations - an authoritative
Published by Dalesman, but available from the YDS.
Latest Edition £8.95 + £1.40 p&p code no: 001
The York Minster Screen
- Dialect poem from the 1830s when the Minster was damaged by
fire and argument raged about putting in a new Screen.
£1.00 + 30p p&p; code no: 002 YMS
Selections from GOODIES
by Rev. Walter
- An attractively presented reprint of most of the loved East
Riding Goodies tales, with drawings by Jack Danby. Edited by Jack Danby and
Muriel Shackleton. 119 pages.
£4.95 + 80p p&p code no: 003 GOS
Ee By Gum, Lord! by Arnold Kellett
A version of the Gospels in West Riding dialect
hardback £10.95 + £1.05 p&p code no: 004 EBG
softback £6.95 + £1.05 p&p code no: 005 EBG
Yorkshire Pudden Olmenack
ed. Ben Dyson
and Stanley Ellis
- Now again available, this popular collection of l9th and
20th century comic working class literature. Printed for the
fifth time due to poplar demand and with a glossy cover.
- £2.95 + 50p p&p code no: 006 YPO
Emily Bronte and the Haworth Dialect by K.M.
- Fascinating analysis of the dialect of "Wuthering
Heights" compared with Dr. Petyt's modern dialect research at Haworth.
Reprinted with glossy cover.
- £2.95 + 50p p&p code no: 007 EBH
- A fine collection of verse and prose selected and edited by
Muriel Shackleton from material first published in the Societys
£3.00 + 50p p&p code no: 008 GTS
Yorkshire Words Today ed. Arnold Kellett & Ian
- A unique anthology selected from 100 years of the
Society's annual journal "Transactions" published to
celebrate the centenaryof the YDS in 1997.
Normally £10.95 Last few copies £8.95 + £1.05 p&p
code no: 008 CYD
Yorkshire Words Today ed. Prof J Widdowson
and Sheffield University
- A joint publication comprising 100 pages of dialect collated
from words and phrases submitted by Yorkshire folk.
Members £4.00 Non-members £5.00 + 80p p&p
code no: 009 YWT
The Knaresborough Workhouse Daybook:
Language and Life in 18th Century North
ed. Maria F. Garcia-Bermerjo Giner & Michael
- About real people, described by one real narrator in his
own distinctive way. An unusual, perhaps unique,
contribution to linguistic studies combining local history
and local dialect.
200 pages £12.75 (YDS Members £11.75) +
code no: 010 KWD
ALL THE FOLLOWING AT £2.95 EACH PLUS POSTAGE 50p
Note: all books below include a clear plastic dust
Words Throo t'Shuttle Ee code no: 011 WT
- Industrial Dialect verse from the past, reprinted from the
best of of the South and West Yorkshire writers.
A Cleveland Anthology code no: 012 CA
ed. W. Cowley
- Modern dialect peotry, with an introduction reviewing North
Riding dialect writing in the past.
An Anthology of West Riding Dialect Verse code
no: 013 WR
ed. Gwen Wade
- Dialect poetry from the 1940s to the 60s.
An East Yorkshire Anthology code no: 014 EY
- Third volume of twentieth century dialect poetry.
Dialect Verse from the Ridings code no: 015 DV
- Modern dialect poetry from all three Yorkshire Ridings, some
by poets who at the time found themselves located in Humberside - much to their
Yorkshire at Work code no: 016 YW
ed. Peter Anderson
- A reprint of "work" articles from past "Transactions"
- steel terms, mining, ploughing, etc.
Humour from the Ridings code no: 017 HR
- The late Ben Dyson's knockabout collection of yarns and
sayings, with Geoffrey Robinson's "Chulton Parva Chronicles".
George Meriton's A Yorkshire Dialogue (1683)
code no: 018 GM
ed. Professor A.C. Cawley
- The 17th century dialect poem that uses spellings much the
same as modern dialect writers.
CDs and Cassettes
- First o t'Sort code no: FOS01 (state CD or
- Recorded at the Society's meeting at Ilkley Literature
Festival. With Bill Cowley, Jack Danby, Stanley Ellis and Gwen Wade.
CD £5.00 + 60p p&p
Casette £2.50 + 50p p&p
West Riding Tales code no: WRT01 (state CD or
More West Riding Tales code no: WRT02 (state CD or
- Two cassettes by the late Arthur Kinder of Honley. A fitting
reminder of Arthur's dry humour recorded at meetings of Honley Civic Society.
- CD £5.00 + 60p p&p
Casette £2.50 + 50p p&p
AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS ONLY
- Square badge of the Society's Logo
- with 'clutch' fastening, black and white enamel with chrome
rose and lettering. 10mm wide
£2.40 post free. (Y.D.S.members only)