The dictionary defines the term "pithy" as condensed and forcible, or
terse. Some would say that is an element found also in the Yorkshire character,
and so it seems pithy Sayings from Yorkshire are quite to be
- The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your
- The opinions expressed by the husband of this house do not
always represent the views of the management.
- Life is a one-way street and you're not coming back.
- Tread often the path to thy friend's house lest weeds grow to
obscure thy way.
- The well-oiled nut behind the steering wheel is the most
unreliable part of the car.
- A bachelor is a man who has failed to embrace his
- A friend is one who knows all about you, and loves you just
- Some people have difficulty in counting calories, and they
have figures to prove it.
- We are all cast in the same mould, some being mouldier than
- Friendship is the one bright light, that keeps on burning day
- The ideal husband is one who washes up when asked, and dries
up, when told.
- No road is long with good company.
- A cure for vandalism.
Alter the sentence "bound over" to
- Not all men are fools, Some are bachelors.
- A wife is a great consolation to a man in all the troubles a
bachelor never has.
- The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, and
the rest, willing to let them.
- One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of
- A profit is not without honour in any country.
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
- Money never buys friends, it only hires them.
- A bachelor is one who hesitates before all is lost.
- Don't despise the little things, often the mosquito is more
bother than the elephant.
- Too many square meals make too many round people.
- Age is in the mind, not the calendar.
- Man is of clay, but it takes a woman to make a mug of
- Many a little mug has grown to be a big pot.
- Punctuality is the art of making sure you'renever later than
- Not only are children a comfort in one's old age,they help one
to reach it much sooner.
- God gave us memory that we might have roses in
- The best way to kill time is to work it to death.
- Don't look for flaws as you go through life, and even if you
find 'em T'is wise and kind to be somewhat blind, and seek for the virtues
- Kindness is something we receive and have to pass along in
order to keep it.
- Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice.
- Tact, the unsaid part of what you think.
- The angler's lament
Sometimes too early, sometimes too
Sometimes no water, sometimes in spate,
Sometimes too dirty,
sometimes too c1ear,
It's always the same when I'm finishing here.
- When one has much to put in them, a day has a hundred pockets.
- When you are in deep water it's a good idea to keep your mouth
- Tact is the art of recognising when to be big and when not to
- Friendships multiply joys and divide griefs.
- Blessed is the man who has nothing to say, and cannot be
persuaded to say it.
- Leeds Saying.
If tha' Knaws nowt, say nowt,
- To keep solvent. Pay as you go, and, if you can't pay don't
- If we don't restore our backbone by showing a stiff upper lip,
our last legs will probably stare us in the face.
- If more husbands were Self Starters, the wife wouldn't have to
be a crank.
- If your only good at odds and ends, be an expert at odds and
- She who indulges - bulges.
- So many gods - so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and
While just the art of being kind,
is all the Sad world needs
- The car to watch is the one immediately behind the one in
front of you.
- Just when we think we have made both ends meet, Somebody takes
away the ends.
- One way to keep your teenage daughter out of hot water is to
put dirty dishes in it.
- How agreeable it is to do nothing, and then to rest
- I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no
- Too many square meals make - too many round people.
- The kind word that fails today, may bear its fruit
- The tide turns at low water as well as high.
- Always try to drive so that your licence will expire before
- If your wife wants to learn to drive don't stand in her
- The best way to save face, is to keep the lower half
- Age is a matter of mind,
If you don't mind
- Don't hurry, don't worry and don't forget to smell the
- Those people who think they know everything are annoying to
those of us who do.
- Envy is an admission of inferiority.
- Learn to co-operate with the inevitable.
- The best thing to set aside for old age is all thought of
- I walked a mile with pleasure
she chattered all the way,
but left me none the wiser,
for all she had to say
I walked a mile
and never a word said she,
but oh; the things I leared
when sorrow walked with me.
- An usherette is a girl who is paid to put a man in his
- A greengrocer is one who has just started.
- Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand alone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
- When you come to the end of your rope, make a knot and hang on
- One day as I sat feeling sad and lonely and without a friend,
a voice came to me from out of the gloom saying "cheer up, things could be
worse", so I cheered up and, sure enough, things got worse.
- Worry is interest paid on trouble before it falls
- He who stays in the valley shall never get over the
- If you want to learn the true value of money try to borrow
- Of all the labour-saving devices invented for woman, none has
been more successful than man.
- A Smile is worth a hundred frowns in any market.
- The most efficient labour saving device is still
- The trouble with opportunity's knock, is that it comes
disguised as hard work.
- The longest journey begins with single step
- The trouble with what melts in the mouth, is the way it bulges
in front of the mirror
- It's not what you say, it's the way you say it.